Mohican Step By Step Tying Guide
Mohican fly by name... Mohican by nature?
Barbless Marsden's Mohicans
Step By Step Fly Tying Guide is at the bottom of this article
We are big fans of this deadly lure range the Marsdens' Mohicans!. Tied on super strong Partridge K4AY Barbless Sproat Grub & Buzzer Hooks assures you of a reliable fly whatever you are fishing for.
The Iridescent bodied Mohicans are stunning fry imitators, the black bodied and olive bodied all having Semperfli Straggle String thoraxes.
Named in honour of Mick 'The Bathtub' Marsden, these flies have been responsible for some very nice double figure 10 to 20lb trout. See below for more details on why we named these flies after Mick.
How to fish the Marsden Mohican Lure
Looking like a fry these work extremely well in the margins retrieved slowly with a figure of 8 and as a general lure. With a Pine Squirrel wing which is highly mobile due to Semperfli Straggle String which sits below the pine as a thorax which projects the wing keeping it highly mobile in the water.
Read below for more very important information about Straggle String!
As you would expect from our fly ranges, we offer you a choice of colours within the range to suit your fishing needs or the needs of the fishing conditions.
CLICK HERE to see the stunning lures available but do have a look at the olive and green chartreuse wing, the black and red and the iridescent ones to name a few.
Why Marsden's Mohicans?
We named this fly range in memory of Mick 'The Bathtub' Marsden, a good friend of the The Essential Fly team and a really good fisherman.
He caught over 50 rainbows in one day at Roxholme including a few doubles! A very talented angler, Mick often caught when others did not.
Mick loved these flies when we gave them to him to try, along with our Inferno Nymphs.
Tight lines Mick.
Step By Step Tying Guide
Hook: Partridge K4AY Barbless Sproat Grub & Buzzer Hooks (Ideal as it reduces contact with the wing, has wide gap and barbless hook penetrates easily
Thorax: Semperfli Straggle String (Ryhac Green, Fluoro Red, Fluoro Orange, Fluoro Yellow and Fluoro Pink all work well)
Tying Thread (For Body and Rib) : Semperfli Nano Black+ 100 Denier GSP Thread
- Cut a V shape 5mm long on the tail of the Pine Squirrel to form the end of the wing. Cut the wing to 50% be approximately longer than the hook. Now pull the fur off approx 3mm to 4mm on the front of the wing. This will be used to tie in the wing.
- Tie the Nano SIlk thread from the eye to the start of the bend on the hook in tight turns to form the body of the fly. Nano silk will lay perfectly flat and create an ultra fine body.
- Now using Black+ Nano Silk 100D spin the bobbin to form a tight rope then return the tying thread in wide open turns to create a rib returning to 5mm from the eye of the hook.
- Now tie in 4 touching turns of Straggle String to form the thorax, this helps to force the wing upwards which gives high mobility to the fly
- Tie the ;pine squirrel wing just in front of the Straggle String and whip finish. Varnish the head with 3 thin coats of varnish.