Boobies Fishing Techniques
Use a retrieve, pause, retrieve pause method. On the retrieve the fly sinks but on the pause it floats up because of the buoyant eyes of closed-cell foam at the head of the Booby Flies. It is an action that is lethally attractive to rainbow trout and highly visible as the fly moves up and down. Fish these flies on a fast-sinking line and an ultra short leader. in this way this fly can be presented just above the bottom, where the fish are often lying during early season. This buoyancy and the tail give it a tremendous enticing action.
Washing Line Rig With Booby Flies
A deadly rig is to use a sinking flyline with a fly leader with droppers. On the point put the Booby Fly, on the droppers put trout buzzers, diawl bach nymphs or cruncher fly patterns. The sinking fly line takes the washing line rig down, sometimes to the bottom of the lake. The Booby fly as it is buoyant lifts the leader up through the water and the dropper flies are raised above the lake bed. Simply slow retrieve, pause and repeat with this deadly rig. It will lift fish when oter fishermen are simply not catching. Washing Line rigs can be used mid water or at the bottom of the lakes depending where the fish are. Try this with a Booby Fly, it is a deadly fly fishing technique.
Summary of Fishing Tips with Booby Flies
- Start by fishing booby flies deep and slow in the morning, then as the day warms up start to fish your booby higher in the water. If you are catching weed use a longer leader to keep the booby higher in the water.
- Try two different boobies on the same cast, some days the point fly will work but on others days the the dropper catches the fish. Use a tip of mid action rod, definitely not use a soft fly rod as you will be unable to set the hook at a distance.
- Use a non or low stretch backing to help set the hook when fishing at distance. This will help your catch rate by converting more takes into fish.Fluorocarbon is best for distance setting of hooks as it does not stretch, standard monofilament can stretch considerably.
- Striking sideways will produce a faster direct contact rather than the traditional upward strike against the fly. Leave your line sinking for 30 seconds when fishing deep.
- Give one big strip to create a disturbance before starting a slow figure of eight retrieve. In winter the main diet of Rainbow Trout will be fry or small black buzzers. Use a white or dark colored booby instead of a bright orange colored one.